Corded vs. Cordless Vacuum Cleaners: Which is Better?
When it comes to cleaning your home, you deserve to have the best possible tools and equipment on hand. After all, your living space is a sanctuary - a place where you can get cozy after a long day at work and a space where you can entertain guests on the weekends.
So how can you make sure your home remains comfortable and clean? In picking your collection of cleaning equipment, prioritize the foundation and buy yourself a quality vacuum cleaner.
In browsing your options, you’ll find so many different types of vacuum cleaners. From pet-specific vacuums and deep cleaners to handheld accessories and more, you may find yourself overwhelmed at your choices. The real question is deciding whether you want a corded vs. cordless vacuum.
To determine whether you want a cordless vs. corded vacuum, we lay out the pros and cons of both and provide you with a recommendation if you’re in the market to start shopping.
The traditional corded vacuum plugs into the wall for its source of power. Here are some of the reasons you might choose corded vs. cordless vacuum cleaners:
A cordless vacuum cleaner, sometimes referred to as a stick vacuum, relies on a battery as its source of power. Here are some of the reasons you may choose cordless vacuum vs. corded:
- Better suction power. Cordless vs. corded vacuum suction power doesn’t compare. According to Which U.K., corded vacuum cleaners suck up 70% of the dust compared to 41% by cordless vacuum cleaners.
- No battery charge is needed. With a cordless vacuum, you may find yourself with a dead battery when you’re only halfway through the job. A corded vacuum never presents this issue. As long as your power source is in good condition, you will never have to worry about stopping in the middle of your chores.
- Great dust capacity. Compared to cordless vacuums, corded vacuums tend to have about two liters worth of dust capacity space. This means you’ll spend less time going back and forth between the trash to empty the container and more time getting the job done efficiently.
- Less efficient in large spaces. If you want to knock out a round of vacuuming in your large home, you may find yourself taking multiple breaks to find a nearby outlet.
- Bulkier. Traditional corded vacuum cleaners tend to be on the bulky side, so they’ll take up a lot of storage space.
- Lightweight. Standard vacuum cleaners tend to be bulky, which stick vacuum cleaners are designed to be lighter.
- No restrictions. Without a cord restricting how far you can go with your vacuum cleaner, you can take care of an entire floor - or home - in one seamless session.
- Better for awkward places and angles. Thanks to its size and lightweight build, cordless vacuum cleaners can take care of the staircase in one swift movement.
- Easy storage. A compact cordless vacuum takes up less space in the closet than the traditional vacuum.
- Limited battery life. The battery may last between 20 to 45 minutes with many cordless vacuum cleaners. This could have a negative impact on someone with a larger house or someone who likes to vacuum all of the cracks and crevices of their living space. Of course, you can always buy another battery to change out when the original dies, but this comes at an additional cost.
- Smaller dust capacity. Most cordless stick vacuums are designed to be sleek and compact for easy navigation. This impacts the size of the filter and dust collector, which means you may spend more time cleaning and emptying the filter.
- Price. In general, cordless vacuum cleaners tend to be more expensive because of the battery and the parts used to make the cleaner.
Corded vs. Cordless Vacuum: Which One is For Me?
At the end of the day, the corded vs. cordless vacuum cleaners debate will come down to personal preference. If you like the convenience of moving your vacuum around the house without a wire in your way, cordless may be in your best interest. On the other hand, if you don’t want to worry about charging the battery of your vacuum, you may stick with a traditional corded option.
No matter what you’re searching for, Vacuum Warehouse has you covered. Regardless of the size of your home, the style of your flooring, and the amount of furry friends you have, there’s a vacuum cleaner for you. Browse our residential vacuum cleaners today.